New website now live!!

Hi all,

We have finally moved to a new website:

Please update your bookmarks. All information on this blog will be deleted soon.

Friday, July 31, 2009

2nd August 2009 - 18th Sunday in Ordinary Time

In the epistle for today, Saint Paul wants Christians to live in contrast to the those who are tossed about from doctrine to doctrine by people’s trickery: “But speaking the truth in love, we must grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ.”

In a very different context, Nathan the prophet “speaks the truth in love” to David -- harsh truth, saving truth: “You have despised me, and have taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your wife. Thus says the LORD: I will raise up trouble against you from within your own house….”David might have protested, “No, Lord, I have not despised you. I have just disobeyed you, and for that I am truly sorry.”

Indeed, in the version Samuel gives, “David said to Nathan, ‘I have sinned against the LORD’”; but David does not deny that he has despised God. His behavior indicts him. We confirm our attitudes about others not by the love we profess but by the love we enact.

So many Christians say, “I have nothing personal against others.” But their behavior belies the claim. They allow our taxes to pay for benefits accorded to things that suit themselves.

Their tolerance of people who are different is limited to giving a few euro to a collection. It is an attitutude that says I am a Christian but don't involve me. Today's readings challenge us to accept the fact the Christian is a label which is more of a verb than a noun.

We have to remember that the Lord is not interested in the love we profess but in the love that we enact and stand over.

No comments:

Post a Comment