New website now live!!

Hi all,

We have finally moved to a new website:

Please update your bookmarks. All information on this blog will be deleted soon.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

News from the Novitiate - Turlough has sent an account of how he is settling in.


As you may be aware Turlough has just begun his Novitiate in Racine, Wisconsin, USA. Here is a brief message he has sent to let us know how he is getting on.


Hello, friends. I feel a bit silly writing for a youth group when I am 54 yrs old. But we are all young in the Lord! Arrived in Racine Aug 11--and what a culture shock. Truly America is a different world. But when Fr Ed began to chat I soon relaxed with the feeling of being among friends.


This feeling led to a growing sense of security over the next few days. Now a week later I feel like an old hand! There is a lovely spirit of prayer that hangs over this community.


I am lucky in that the group I am with have formed a good friendship already. As you would expect I am at the bottom of the social pecking order! But I am here to pray.


The whole place, timetable and people lends itself to prayer. Amazing how surroundings can influence us so much. The 1st moring I was here, Wed 12th Aug, I went down to morning prayer at 7.30. In the background, through open windows, we could hear the heavy machinery of the quarry behind the monastery, the buzz of the cars taking people to work and the hub-bub of city life; and I thought, "this is what Augustinian life is all about, bearing witness to a living, loving God in the midst of the city!"


And I felt at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment