New website now live!!

Hi all,

We have finally moved to a new website:

Please update your bookmarks. All information on this blog will be deleted soon.

Thursday, September 3, 2009

News from Rome - Greetings from Colm


Hello, My name is Bro Colm O' Mahony and I am a student for the Irish Augustinians currently based in Rome. I am a native of Cork city where both my parents Denis and Margaret live and am the second of four children. My older brother Cathal is married to Jill and they have two children. Both Cathal and Jill are involved in environmental research whereas my younger brother Kieran is a secondary school teacher. My sister Sinead is the youngest of us all and is currently living in Limerick where she is a chartered accountant.

I first had the inclinings of a vocation when I was in secondary school, but as I was attending an all boys school run by the Presentation Brothers I put it down to just a phase. I did not actively persue it as I wanted to go to university. This I did and in 1996 I began a three year degree in Social Science at UCC. I loved college life. Like most students I went to parties, went out with my friends, had a couple girlfriends and even managed to fit in some study along the way. I was also actively involved in the SUCCESS programme which ran in the college. This was aimed at providing extra assistance to students with specific needs.

Outside UCC I was also actively involved in CASA (Caring And Sharing Association), a voluntary group that provided a social outlet and other supports to people with specific needs. Yet this idea of priesthood or religious life did not go away. I was always attracted to the idea of community life and priesthood but once again I felt I was not ready. I decided I needed to work for a time to be sure it was what I wanted.

I got my first real job after graduation working in a children's residential centre in Waterford. I was here for over a year and was made key worker for a number of different children. It was an amazing expereince, one that no book or theory in class could have prepared me for. The possibility of taking a permanent position came up and I was faced with a choice. I still had these urges towards religious life, it seemed to me that no matter that I did or how I used my talents and time, something in me was saying "thanks, but I want something more from you". Again uncertain of what to do and not knowing anyone who had even the slightest interest in priesthood I decided that I would take charge of the situation. I decided that I could always return to work but that this draw towards God and religious life needed to be sorted out first.

And while I was always more attracted to community and religious life I decided to apply for my local diocese as I felt I would at least be closer to family and friends. In 2000 I entered in Maynooth and while I had many happy and positive expereinces there, by the end of my third year I knew it was not for me and I left. While there I had deepened my relationship with God, I had some grounding in theology and some great pastoral expereinces. But most of all I met some really amazing people, both lay and clerical students who had a hunger and such an interest in searching for God. I returned to Cork and one of my closest friends from UCC told me that there were vacancies where she worked. So began my two years with the Brothers of Charity in Lota.

I was assigned to one residential house for the whole two years and was key worker to one specific resident. Our house was challenging in that we had people with severe to profound intellectual and physical disabilities. It was a truely special time, for the first time I came to see how the Spirit of God is alive in each of us and the words of Scripture about when you feed the hungry, clothe the naked, etc you do this to Jesus, really came alive for me. And yet this calling, this persistant whisper about religious life kept coming up. I tried to ignore it as I felt I had tried and failed but God was patient and in the end I wrote off to a couple different Orders and communities and met with just two of them.

When I first met Fr Niall, the vocations director and we began to talk it was as if all the questions I had and all the things I was searching for were being ticked off one by one. I was attracted to the Augustinians because of their charism of love, community and the search for God. Over the next few months I was in regular contact with Niall and met with different Augustinians. I felt that I had found where it is God was leading me. I still had doubts, reservations, etc but decided to take the chance and to formally apply.

My first year was spent in Galway as a sort of introduction. There was no committment on either part, it was time and space for me to explore, challenge and get to know the Order as best I could. I had regular meetings with Fr Niall, completed my theology studies, and had regular spiritual direction and pastoral work. After the year I was formally accepted as a student for the Order and sent to our noviciate in the US. Here I was joined by three other students, one from Malta and two Americans.

This year was to be our Spiritual Year. Here we got a more intense and focused introduction into the Order's spirituality, history, mission, the writings of St Augustine, etc. This was also balanced with a strong sense of community life, pastoral work and spiritual direction. We also met up once a week in Chicago with the Inter Community Noviciate (ICN). This was a group of some 14 various Orders and congregations, both male and female, who came together once a week to share resources, lectures, expereinces etc.

When I returned home after the year I made my Simple Profession in Galway, where I took the vows of poverty, chastity and ovedience for a year. This was attended by my family, close friends, people from the parish and of course Augustinians from our various houses. This was also where I took the black habit and wore it for the first time. It was an amazing and deeply touching experience not only for me but also for my family and friends who attended. For the next year I was assigned to Cork where I trained as a hospital chaplain in Cork University Hospital.

This was probably the most difficult yet rewarding thing I have done. I worked for a full year on one ward, Lukemia and severe burns which meant I was there when a patient was admitted right up until they were discharged or died. I also worked on various other cancer wards, the childrens ward, psychiatric ward, general wards, intensive care and A&E.

To enter the space of a person ill in hospital is to enter sacred space indeed. That year really challenged me, my perception of God and how I saw my strengths and weaknesses. Last year I was sent here to Rome to do a two year licence in Moral theology. I chose moral because of my expereinces in the hospital and the various other jobs I have done. I now live in St Monica's International College. We are right accross from St Peter's Square so truely are in the heart of Rome.

The college is home to friars from 24 different countries ranging from Nigeria, Kenya, Chile, Mexico, Peru, Ireland, Germany, India, Uk, Italy, Philippines, etc. So as you can imagine the house is alive! There is a constant buzz around the place as we all attend various universities and courses. We have time set aside every day for us to come together to pray, eat and just hang out.

The energy is ionfectious and we are there for each other to inspire, challenge, care for and support. We are not perfect, we dont have all the answers but as one student said we are a group of ordinary guys doing our best to love God, follow what he has in mind for us and to work with his people according to his will. Being in Rome has strengthened my own vision of Church and Mission. It has reinforced for me that the Church is not the preserve of the few called to priesthood but is the whole people, all the community. I as an Augustinian am looking forward to continuing my journey with the wider lay community as well as with my fellow brothers. I have another year here in Rome before I am finished my course. After that, I am not sure what will happen. I hope to make my solemn vows, where I will become a full member of the Order and have made known that I would like to go to Africa for an expereince. I feel hope filled and ready for whatever task or project is put infront of me as I know I will not be doing it alone but with the support of my Brothers and the Holy Spirit.
NOTE: IN THE PHOTO COLM IS SEATED IN THE CENTRE OF THE FRONT ROW SHOWING US HIS PROFILE (Possidius)

No comments:

Post a Comment